Friday 4 July 2014

QA — Sue Keltner, Driftwood Players


Sue Keltner has been an Aberdeen resident for nearly 50 years. Originally a Seattle native, she met her husband Jerry in an “Intro to Theatre” class while attending Western Washington University. When Jerry was offered a job with the Aberdeen School District, they moved back to where he grew up. Keltner would eventually teach at Aberdeen schools, but is now retired. Family has always been a large part of her life. Their son Larry, his wife, Sue, and their youngest granddaughter, Lanna, live in Shelton with family also living in Olympia and Shoreline. Sue and her husband joined the Driftwood Players in 1969 and have been active members ever since.


What does your job for the Players entail?


I am known to most people as the “ticket lady.” I am the business manager for Driftwood Players. As business manager, I am a member of the Board. My primary responsibility is ticket sales. I do season tickets each fall. I distribute tickets to our five outlets for each play. I sell tickets at the door for each show or find a replacement for myself. That is a total of 40 performances a year. I coordinate with the person doing electronic tickets (that’s new for this year) I deposit the show receipts. And the old “any thing else assigned to me.”


What initially drew you to join the Driftwood Players?


A fellow teacher asked Jerry to do sound on “Teahouse of the August Moon.” She knew he had theater experience from college. The hook was set and they reeled us into the Driftwood family. It was a good fit for us. It provided community involvement at little to no cost. It also allowed us to use our skills sets in theater. We both majored in speech and drama. The final benefit was we could bring Larry to the theater with us. During many show, he slept on the floor of the light booth at the Hoquiam theater.


What does your background in theater look like?


I am a behind-the-scenes- person. I do not act or direct. I have been a stage manager, props, Champagne openings, children’s theater and of course business manager at Driftwood. I also worked backstage on Raindrops Revue, a fundraiser for the hospital.


What is your favorite part about being a part of the Players?


I really enjoy selling the tickets at the box office and helping make the theater experience good for our patrons.


What do you hope for the Players in the future?


I hope that Driftwood can continue to provide quality live theater on Grays Harbor. We can continue to bring new people into our group and retain the great workers and performers we have.


Who inspires you the most in life?


When I was younger, it was my grandmothers. Now, it is my husband.


What do you do in your spare time?


My first priority is my family and doing things with them. Larry and I go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival each year. Lanna, our granddaughter, has been attending with use since she was 10. This year we will have two 17-year-olds as she is bringing a friend. I also belong to the Phi Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma. I help provide pre-retirement seminars for educators. I love to read. Real books, the kind you hold in your hands!


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?


God willing and good health more of the same. Looking forward to Lanna’s graduating from high school and her future dreams. Watching my great-granddaughters grow up.



No comments:

Post a Comment