Tuesday 18 November 2014

Arrogant B. tacos, delish


A healthy lifestyle includes many things. For me, a little exercises, good food, drink and people is the perfect combination.


When the sharp cold winds blew through the Harbor last Tuesday, numbing my gloveless hands as I rode my bike home, it seemed I was not going to make it up the hill to my house. Waiting for the light to turn on Broadway and Wishkah, The Tap Room glowed warm. It was the only excuse I needed. Perhaps, after a beer, the wind would die down, I reasoned.


That serendipitous wind blew me right into a packed house full of Stone Brewing lovers. I was incredulous to find that I was remiss to realize I had overlooked the presence of a favorite brewer visiting town. Facebook fail!


Lucky for owners, Scott and Suzy Laird, other community members had not overlooked it. I took the last remaining seat and after a bit of good conversation with a couple of Vaughan employees from Montesano, my Imperial Russian Stout arrived.


Needless to say the beer was good. Good enough to order another, and potent enough to definitely need a side of food. Pulled pork tacos were being delivered all around me and they seemed a good choice. Who doesn’t like a taco and a beer?


My table mates had left by now and I felt guilty and a bit lonely to sit solo.


The pulled pork in the tacos had cooked in Arrogant Bastard ale for most of the day. When they arrived at my table, it seemed they had had a long day as well. The tortillas a little rough around the edges, perhaps coming from the bottom of the pile. I surmised correctly. As I gazed over the two piled tortillas, I heard Suzy yell, “that’s the last of the tacos.”


The lime must have also been from the bottom of the barrel as well. It was the smallest and cutest little lime wedge I have ever seen. Squirting what I could with all my might, my finger and thumb emptying the contents of the green triangle, evenly over each of the two piled discs. I could feel the jealousy of my sour taste buds already calling out for more.


But, the lime content didn’t really matter.


The ample amount of pork, sour cream and cilantro pico de gallo entered my mouth and immediately began to melt. I don’t remember chewing. I do remember being happy that my table was empty and I didn’t have to converse. I was completely focused on the task at hand. Eating. Just me and my Arrogant Bastard pulled pork tacos. Who needs a date when you’ve got food this good?


When I had finished, a friend walked in to pick up her “to go” order. Suzy announced to her, “It was a good thing you called, you got the last taco.”


It is unclear how often the A.B. tacos will be available. But one thing is for sure, they are now serving Stone beers on tap and if the cold wind should blow, The Tap Room has good food, drink and people to help you warm your fingers and belly.



No comments:

Post a Comment